• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing spar compression crack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Adamson

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A good friend bought an Acrosport I project. The plane was very well built, had previously flown and may have had the lower right wing contact the ground. The previous owner repurposed the engine for an Oregon Cherokee.

The incident probably happened in grass as there was no damage to the fabric but I could see a slight rise in the leading edge. I noticed a few chewed rib lacing cords and smelled mouse habitat. Decision was made to remove the fabric.

Measured a 1/8” rise in the spar starting at the I-strut attach. I expected the crack outboard of the I-strut but signs in the sealer pointed to the inside edge of the doubler plate. I didn’t start taking photos until I saw the crack. Yes there are extra holes in the doubler and spar.
57E410C2-215D-49AE-BF55-8CD5AACAF8C8.jpeg

F7BF97CF-EEB8-4F06-869E-6A8D12937E14.jpeg
A9C5E833-333C-4B17-B1DD-2788C80D1B32.jpeg

Latest posts

Back