• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Stall during slip- what happens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dances_with_cumulus

Reaction score
I fly a steen skybolt that i built but have very few hours in it, perhaps 20 at most. When i received some dual before flying my airplane it was in a pitts S2 and the instructor did not permit slips on final. I never understood why because a slip is a great way to keep sight of the sidewalk we call a runway at my home field. Its 25 feet wide.
Is there a safety reason he discouraged slipping? What happens to biplanes if they stall while slipping? Do they mush or go over on their back in a blink of an eye?
I know what you are thinking, go to altitude and find out. I plan to do that but first i want to understand what will happen so I am prepared for it.
My understanding is that stall spin events (classic base to final) happen when low wing rudder is in to crowd the turn and the nose drops and turn steepens so people instinctively pull back and put in opposite aileron. But a slip is the opposite of that, by definition high wing rudder is in. I would think that a stall during slip is not a recipe to spin or go over on a back in a biplane. It isnt in a cub but a biplane isnt a cub.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back