• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starting Basic Aerobatic Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taildragger

Reaction score
After a long time waiting, I've finally saved up the money to start a 10hr basic aerobatic course. First lesson is tomorrow AM in a 7KCAB Citabria and I'm pretty excited.

(I apologize that this thread is not biplane related, but I hope you'll forgive me. I figured I'd share my experiences with the hope of giving back to the forum how I can, getting some help along the way, and giving you proficient acro guys something to laugh at. :) )

My only experience with acro so far was a short <20min ride in an Extra 300 at the Ohio Open contest this June. Just like then, I'm sure I'll end up woozy and that my flying will look like I'm sitting with my feet tucked under my butt, but it'll be fun and I'll be a student again, which I'm looking forward to.

Hopefully there will be video of all my lessons (for post-flight review). I may post those here, but no guarantees...I'm not good at video editing.

My goals in starting acro training are to learn unusual attitude recovery, become a better pilot, get more comfortable in an airplane, conquer my fear of the unknown, and mostly, how to "fly the airplane," stay in control, and make it do what I want, when I want, and elegantly. Hopefully competition acro will come in later.

Been reading "Basic Aerobatics" by Goulian/Szurovy to get ready. First lesson is supposed to be climbing Dutch rolls, steep turns, slow flight/stalls, falling leaf stalls, L/R upright spins, and loops, but we'll see how far my stomach allows us to go. Progress will be slow due to Ohio's wonderful winter weather, but I'm more concerned about getting it done right and learning all I can than getting it finished in 10hrs.

For anyone interested, I'll be flying out of Red Stewart Airfield with Emerson Stewart III. He's a flight instructor and airshow pilot with awesome Cub and deadstick Citabria routines. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL5qeIVilIs"]deadstick Citabria routine[/ame].

N9080L-Citabria-Low-Pass-Practice-Gathering-of-Eagles-July-2011.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back