• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Stinson driver maybe-turned-Pitts driver in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, got on the forums a year or so ago when I was looking for a Christen Eagle. Been flying since I was a teenager, but about half my total time is in the last 5 years after buying a couple of Stinsons (and getting into gliders). An opportunity has popped up to buy a nice S-1C at my homebase. I had always dismissed the Pitts based on what I'd heard about the poor visibility, and after sitting in the back seat of a Starduster and feeling like I was in a submarine. I was also hung up on finding a two-seater, but it has occurred to me that I would probably rarely get anyone to ride along for acro...might as well get more bang for my buck with a single seater. Plus I realize now that visibility is better. I "tried on" the C that's for sale, and taxied it around a bit. Was a bit surprised how well I fit (6'1" and just under 200lbs), and the visibility thing was a non-issue. I like the plane....just about ready to find someone for a pre-buy (recommendations welcome and appreciated!).

I got hooked on acro when I took a 10hr course back in college in a 150hp Decathlon....most fun I'd ever had. I've done some more acro in another Decathlon in more recent years, and while it was still a blast, it occurred to me that I might get a little bored with that type as I advanced. But wasn't really thinking Pitts until this one popped up!

Matt

Latest posts

Back