• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

strange oil dipstic readings!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Ok guys,
I am kinda puzzled here. I bought the Cessna 140 a few months back and it has a 0-200. Full on the dipstick is 6 quarts.. When I bought the plane I checked the oil and it showed 6.5. I flew it 4 hours the first day and parked it in the hangar.
Next morning first thing I do is check the oil.... 4 quarts on the stick. I add 1 quart and recheck. It shows 5 now just like it should.
I fly a hour and park it in the hangar. Next morning I check and it shows 6.5 quarts! Same hangar, same spot etc.
So I fly about 4 more times and every preflight check shows 6.5. Then the next flight I check it and it shows 4. I add a quart and recheck. Now it has 5 so I go fly.
Next morning I check and it has 6.5 quarts!
Why is it gaining 1.5 quarts? What would cause the strange readings? Same flat hangar floor each time.
This is making me crazy! I asked my mechanic and he gave me that look like I am stupid!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back