• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Tail braces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have starduster too which like many is a little fat in the posterior, so to speak. I am working to improve this without major surgery.

I have the welded up, streamline tube tail stays on bottom and think I could save 3 lbs going to wire braces. One set of plans says use minimum 5/16. I think (might be wrong) s2 uses 1/4, s1 3/16, sky bolt 3/16, decathlons 3/16. The upper wires are 1/4.

So 5/16 seems like overkill and makes it harder to find these. I probably need 30 inches pin to pin.

Interested in group wisdom here.

Latest posts

Back