• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tail wheel Again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithacb

Reaction score
Sorry everyone, but I'm still unclear & sure there is more refining & benefit to be had by perfecting my tailwheel set up.

My current set up is 1 1/2" x 3 flat leafspring. Into a 45 feh double fork tailwheel (6" I think).

I'm wondering if anyone has or thoughts on using 1 1/4", maybe x2 leafspring & a lighter tailwheel itself.

Mine is also far too angled for my liking. I have already pretty much every post & do see what DB says about it landing flatter due to AoA in 3 point. But mine can be reduced I'm positive.

Who uses exactly what out there. 1 1/2 or 1 1/4" leafspring benefits/weights or strength.
Single or double fork tailwheel, man enough. 20/30/45deg shoe in tailwheel.
What angle are your leafspring a bent at? Is the a minimum bend to raise 3pt ATT.

The Pitts s2A uses 1 1/4" leafspring plus single fork tailwheel. I know it's slightly lighter but would a similar set up work on a Bolt. I understand the pin angle has to be positive (near vertical under load) & the gap to bottom of rudder.

If you guys to supplier as many real close up pics of all your tailwheel set ups, that would be fantastic. I realise I'm asking a lot to go get up to date specific pics but as they say, a pics worth nearly all these woffly words!!

Cheers & safe flying

Alistair

We operate of a 700m grass strip.

Latest posts

Back