• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tailwheel Alert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyJ

Reaction score
I just wanted to take a few minutes to advise anyone flying an Aviation Products tailwheel to pull the wheel assembly off the stinger and check for cracks where the bolt hole is drilled through.

Yesterday I had a failure upon landing at a local field and my initial assessment (I won't be able to pull the assembly until tonight) is that it had been fatiguing for a while, then catastrophically failed when landing at this very rough field.

I want to be very clear that I am in NO way questioning the construction or quality of the API unit, and I fully intend to stick with them. The tailwheel assembly is of topnotch quality, and the RV community uses them a lot with great success.

However, I believe the method of mounting the tailwheel to the stinger is far more crucial than I originally anticipated, and I will be putting that allegedly big brain of mine to work optimizing the mounting method to mitigate the risk of this happening in the future.

When I have more data on the exact failure mode and a proposed countermeasure I'll report back.

Again, I have great faith in the API tailwheel, it works beautifully and is a fine piece of equipment. But I regularly have to fly in and out of a field that is rough as a cob and additional measures may need to be employed to ensure the unit has a long and uneventful life.

All I am saying is if you fly this tailwheel, check the stinger for cracks where the cross-hole is drilled. It may save you the time I will now be investing in repairing the covering on my rudder. :(

Latest posts

Back