• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

The winter voyage in N45JV. What a great experience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardflyboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very nervous about this trip and prepared meticulously and it worked out for me!
Thank you all who had advice for me. It kept me safe, I'm sure. Again, Dave Baxter, all you fellas. I appreciate all the extremely valuable info on these SD2 aircraft. I have many more questions on projects and fixes I see as I have been able to fly this for over 30 hours now.
I didn't freeze my tail off on this trip as I expected either. I will have a rundown of my flying gear later or for those who are interested but for example, my feet were uncomfortably warm with the setup I put together. Soft down Mountaineering booties with an insulated boot liner and foot warmers in them kept my feet a little too warm for my comfort but obviously great. A down Mountain Hardware parka with several layers and ski pants. A homemade vinyl flying helmet with an insulated liner, a baklava and ski goggles. Of course ski gloves with the cheep hand warmers installed kept me really warm. Only down side was the large amount of stuff wrapped around my face. Didn't love that very much. Actually pulled it off when I was 20 minutes away from KPIH, my home airport. The route had a lot of stops. KREI-KDAG-KHND-KSGU-KFOM-KPVU-KBTF-KPIH. About 120 knots in cruise and a total of 7 hours of flying.

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg