• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Thread Cutting - Drag/Anti-Drag Wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandersen

Reaction score

20110123_173624_4130_treads.jpg
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on cutting threads on my drag/anti-drag wires. I'm having problems getting a good surface finish on the 4130 thread grooves. On 304 stainless rod, I get a very smooth and very acceptable thread finish.

My preference is to cut the 1/4"and 3/16" drag/anti-drag wires out of 4130 due to almost double the yield strength.

I'm cutting the threads on a mini lathe with HSS cutting tool with a standard 60 deg cutting head. I'm cutting the threads at an offset of 29 degree feed angle. I ordered the 1/4" and 3/16" 4130 rod from spruce. I've tried cutting as high as 100 sfm (really hard to do) and cut at at dead slow speeds. I've cut dry and cut lubricated. I've changed angles on the cutting tool, cut with a strait tool, cut with a low angle tool (hooked end). No matter what I do, I get micro fissures or micro tears in the 60 deg angle surfaces perpendicular to the cutting direction. When cutting, the chips are coming off nicely in long curly chips . I've tried feeding at more than 0.005" cuts. I've tried feeding at 0.001". This doesn't seem to effect the surface finish all that much. I get the same result on the 1/4" or the 3/16" rod. As a test, I tried running threads on 4130 tube and go the same micro fissures.

When I cut threads on 304 stainless rod, they are clean as a whistle.

I haven't tried a carbide cutting tool.

Is there a way to cut better threads on 4130 rod?

I'm viewing the threads on a 40 power scope.

Edited by: wandersen

Latest posts

Back