• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tiedown vs hangar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer Jay

Reaction score
Hello. I am searching for a pitts S1, but I do have one concern that I could not find an answer for. This plane would also be used or frequent trips to California. Though the aircraft would be in a hangar at its base airport, how will it fair being frequently tie downed outside for a week at a time. I've spoken with Bruce at custom covers and he indicated that a full cover is not really successful on the biplane due to its configuration. That given, I was concerned about what wear would occur, and what, if any, maintenance could be done to negate the problems from extended periods of being exposed to the elements. Any advice or warnings would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Latest posts

Back