• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Which light plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJobe

Reaction score
Maybe I should have posted a new thread for this.
I am looking to build an aircraft that complies with FAR 103 and looks more like a standard aricraft than a standard fare ultralight. I am signing up for fly boy bc's yahoo group as we speak. Originally, i wanted to build a chucklebird, but when i saw the zipster I fell in love. Unfortunatly I have 0 aviation or engineering experience, and will not be building from untested plans that have been changed from those of the working prototype. So back to the chucklbird, or perhaps someone could reccomend a craft. My needs in an ultralight are somewhat unique.

About me:
I am 220lbs(i know, limits aircraft right there.), I live in the United States in an area where my closest neighbor is 2 miles, and the closest gorcery store is 15-20 miles away. Its all unpopulated between me and the grassy field just outside of the grocery store. I have also lost my dirver's licence.

What I need in a plane:
It must be ultralight part 103 compliant.
It must be stable.
It must be proven.
it must be flyable in Iowa winters and summers. (winter low about -40F, summer high about 120F)
It must get me (220lbs) to town for work nearly every day.
It must get me (220lbs) back from town with (lets see: 2 lbs beef, some frozen chicken, eggs, bacon, lettus, onion, green pepper, tortillas, bread, cheese, milk, and maybe a 12 pack) I'd say about 25 lbs cargo.

I might already have hit the impossible mark. I don't know, I have 0 experience. And the extra lbs for cargo should be considered pilot weight. I've talked to the guys down at the local county airport and they all seem to agree that as long as my plane is ultralight compliant when empty, nobody is going to care if i ferry my groceries home in it.

What I do not need in an ulrtalight.
I do not need to do areobatic.
I do not need to do barrel rolls.
I do not need it to be painted or colorful(unless the paint is like, required for flight or something)
Frankly I don't need it to do anything except takeoff, fly and land within the temperatures stated above and with the payload stated above. and to do all this every day with nightly meitenance.

So now we are onto budget. I have about $150USD a week I can put into this project. I have no engineering experience, but my buddies and I do have some fabrication and welding experiance.

So idk, if you guys with the knowlege and experience could give this a read and let me know what I can expect to be able to pull off and what i can't, I would greatly appreciate it.

Honestly, the reason i posted here is that I'd really like this plane to be the zipster. Ed, your plane looks hott. Really if you just wanted to build me something like that.... I couldn't pay you money but i could, idk be indentured to you or something. Sweep your shop floor for the next year or two to pay it off rofl.

This is the question though... if i sell a design of a plane, then the guy i sell it to makes changes to it before he sells it again... The second set of plans wouldn't really be the same plane ya, because modifications were done? so maybe the guy i first sold the plans to could sell the rights ORIGINALS back to me without violation the rights of the guy who bought the modified plans? I really don't know, I'm just thinking because if Ed got his plans back, I'd be building the zipster.

Or perhaps if Hart is not allowed to sell anything to do with planes.. Perhaps he is not legally able to defend his rights to the zipster?

Latest posts

Back