• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

wing attach slop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbmmoyair

Reaction score

How much slop is acceptable in the bolt holes on the wing where it attaches to the fuselage? I'm talking about the lower wings here. The holes on the fuselage are fine but I can wiggle a bolt in the holes in the wing straps. Would tightening the bolt with shimming washers hold good enough?The fuselage holes don't look to have enough meat to use oversize bolts. Can some kind of bushings be used in the straps?If these straps need replacing, or holes welded and redrilled, or tight fit washers welded on the straps, what is a good way to do this? The wings are uncovered at the moment so we can get to the straps, although not a trivial task. I assume we would have to install and rig the wings to determine the proper location of the holes. Could a washer be super glued to the strap with it rigged then everything removed and used as a pattern for making/repairing the straps?Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back