• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

1978 experimental Pitts S-1S for sale

Gmovies

Reaction score
1978 PITTS S-1S EXPERIMENTAL • $28,000 • FOR SALE • Beautiful classic Pitts with a fresh engine. Airframe 536 TT. 180 hp Lycoming O-360 with 0 hrs on rebuild with crankshaft and cylinders. No electrical except batt/B&C starter. Sensenich prop. Bendix pressure carb. Sparcraft wings. Aviation Prod tailwheel. New items: flop tube, brake cylinders, engine mounts, fuel pump, bungees, tires. Excellent quality build. Original paint and fabric great condition cleans up to a beautiful shine. Engine is not on the plane but ready to install, currently in controlled storage at Midwest Aircraft Services in Newton, KS. Willing to split engine and airframe. • Contact Paul J. Klusman, Owner - located Wichita, KS USA • Telephone: 3166171320 • Posted April 20, 2017

PittsatFlyINclean.jpg

parked.JPG

Engine.png

shiny wing.jpg

Interior.jpg

Hova

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you a call tonight or tomorrow.

Gmovies

Reaction score
Thanks she is a sweet little plane. I had a blast flying it for 160 hours. I bought a Pitts S-2B so need to sell this one.

Note the engine is currently NOT on the plane. Everything is there just need to mount the engine and hook up oil, fuel, spark plugs, etc. Here is some additional info:

The plane is amateur built by Lloyd Stoops with excellent quality. Completed in 1978. I don't know if it is factory fuse or hand-built. Wings are sparcraft with excellent quality. Covering is ceconite I believe with polyurethane paint. I bought the plane in 2003. I purchased it from my aerobatics instructor Charles F Holleman at Purdue University Aviation program. I removed the engine for bottom end overhaul in 2007 and never got around to putting it back on. 180 HP O-360 essentially 0 time engine with solid flange crank and factory new lycoming cylinders, currently in climate controlled storage at Midwest Aircraft Services in Newton KS (talk to Dennis Collins for engine history 316-283-5915).

Two minor items of damage:

1) LH wingtip very slight runway contact on my third or fourth flight. No damage to underlying structure and wingtip bow and covering remained intact. I patched and painted the scrape. Aircraft has about 155 hours since this repair with no issues. Landing characteristics were greatly improved with new bungees, tires, and Aviation Products tailwheel.

2) Caught the LH brake caliper on the edge of a runway while I taxied from grass onto the runway. Broke the caliper loose and caused slight damage to the wheel fairing. Caliper replaced and wheel fairing repaired.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Barnstormers ad has generated a number of calls and a fellow from CT wants to fly out and look at it this weekend. If I split the engine/airframe I would ask $20,000 for the engine (complete with prop, pressure carb, magnetos, B&C starter) and $8,000 for the airframe. I would trade a few thousand $$ between the engine and airframe so there is room for negotiation. So far very little interest in the engine alone, though. I need to post an ad for the engine on Van's forum I suppose.

Thanks,
Paul

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would be better served if you installed the engine and put a few hours on it. The minimal effort to install the engine would likely allow you to raise the price another $10k. Plus give the buyer confidence in the airplane.

Gmovies

Reaction score
I've had a surprising amount of interest in the airframe alone. If I can sell the 0 hr engine for $20,000 I can unload the airframe for $8,000. Find a partial-run O-320 for $7,000 add it to the $8,000 airframe and someone would have a nice Pitts S-1S for $15,000. I've registered with the Van's forum and I'll post an add for the engine there. I understand I'm missing out on some $$ by not putting the engine back on the plane but all my attention is on my S-2 now.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Dammit dude, wish you were closer. I'd put it together for you and break it in right.

Gmovies

Reaction score
Tomcat has been bugging me to put my poor little S-1 back together for years. Then he bought a racing Pitts S-1 and I'm helping him rebuild it - sort of helping, anyway. Then he bought a historic Cassutt for rebuild (second one ever built!) currently sitting in our hangar. Then I bought an open cockpit S-2 and he went down to FL to bring it home for me. Then I put stall strips and new rod end bearings on the slave struts on the S-2 to get them to quit vibrating. Then I put new bungees on the S-2. Then I put a new prop on the S-2. Then the boost pump died and I installed a new boost pump on the S-2. Then I bought a canopy for the S-2 (not installed yet). Then I discovered metal in the oil screen on the S-2 so I'm still watching that. Then I put new tailwheel leaf springs on the S-2. Then the tailwheel shimmy on the S-2 still wouldn't go away so yesterday I ordered an Aviation Products Tailwheel 'cause the old Maul TW sucks. Then I lowered the seat on the S-2 cause my head sticks out above the windscreen. Then our other Pitts guy on the airport sold his and is threatening to buy a helicopter I want a helicopter ride.....

So many toys so little time.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Yeah Rob.....quite literally YEARS I've been trying to get him to put it together...if you get him to do it let me know the trick!!!

Gmovies

Reaction score
Yes airframe alone is for sale if I can find a buyer for the engine. I think around $10,000 for the airframe alone. I can trade a few thousand $$ back and forth between the engine and airframe but so far not much interest in just the engine alone. I've seen a few used Lycoming O-320 out there for around $8,000 so add that to the airframe and you'd have a hot acro plane for just $18,000 pretty good bang for the buck!

Paul

Latest posts