• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acro II empty weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Weight of any airplane is a major issue. I have obsessed over the weight of my project from the beginning. Today I finally got the beast up on scales for a preliminary weight and balance check since it is getting close to the finish line and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to move anything after it was too late. Almost to late now anyway, but there is still some wiggle room.
Final result: Empty weight 889#!!
If it sounds like I am bragging... Make no mistake I am!
And that figure is with a solid metal prop at 35# and an angle valve IO-360.
For balance weights are:
Mains 408 each
Tailwheel bolt 73
I haven't done the calculations for balance yet but those numbers look pretty much proportional to what others have posted.
Aircraft is equipped as follows:
IO-360 A3B6-D
Sensenich 76-60 prop
14" mount
PC-680 battery
Skytec starter
Honda alternator
Matco wheels and brakes
Medium polyfiber with two colors aerothane
Maule tailwheel with custom aluminum spring.
Microair radio W/built in intercom
Add a pound for Microair transponder, (coax and antenna already installed)
No smoke system
No inverted oil system, I'm gettin' too old to hang upside down anyway!
I couldn't be more happy and relieved. Now I can finish it up and possibly save some more weight on the engine ie electronic ignition, Catto prop, Lighter induction system etc.
Truly a happy new year!!:D

Latest posts

Back