• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beejs Blog Update: Top Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Creator of this place
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
Reaction score
Austin, TX

<TD vAlign=top>I-struts with radiused internal corners...

To complete the struts, I needed to add the little 'sweeps' where the braces met the streamline tubing, this is done with balsa as per plans, but I decided to just throw a blob of Superfil in there and shape.They turned out great. I then coated them with a dose of rust kill and added them to the ever growing pile of parts ready for priming.

Cabane Fairing
I wanted to mount a cabane fairing at the center section. I purchased one from Steen, but didn't want to risk messing it up, so I made a sacrificial female mould of it and used that for hacking and templating. I had trouble trying to visualize where the cuts should be, since the fairing has to be mounted in sections in order to fit around everything, and I had trouble trying to find a reference picture to see where the cut is typically done on the rear end of the fairing. I finally went with a 4 piece fairing, having given up trying to make it a 3 piece. Of course,a weekafter completing it, I saw a bunch of 3 piece examples at the Biplane Expo :0( Anyway, the end result is very tight and snug around all the tubing, so I am very pleased with the overall outcome. The fixing method is done with floating clip nuts.Fixing to the ply above the ancillary tankis by 3/16 self tapping screws, blunted ground-down just a tad (the easy way out).

Lady Luck
Occasionally during the build, lady luck smiles down upon me: I was looking at buying an intercom system ($200-300). Then while rummaging through the oil/sawdust coveredboxes that came with the salvaged plane, I found one just laying there. A local buddy then took it away, cleaned it up, and set it up to work with my Icom hand-held, which is what I have planned for comms. He also wired in a PTT switch ready to mount in the stick, and has designed an internal co-ax antenna, and wired the Icom to work off of 12v. He charged me a big mac.

End of a Saga
So,there's only one word for it: WOW. After 2.8 years of slaving away on my wings, there is nothing else to do until covering. I can nowstore them away and forget about them and start to focus on the fuselage. Thereare so many sub-projects ahead that I really don't know which one to tackle first......

Stepped layered tabs on cabane fairing...

Completed cabane fairing...

Latest posts