• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beejs Blog update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I have not updated my blog for a while - about 5 months! But I have been industrious on the build. The fuselage went for powdercoating a while back, the firewall engine mount and landing gear are permanently installed. The boost pump is fitted and plumbed in ready to accept the gas tank with a fitting on the other end waiting to pass thru the firewall. I decided to back the firewall with some fireproof matting.The throttle quadrants are installed, the seat pans have been installed (riveted in - what a pain that was), the gas valve has been installed with a remote extension rod, and all stringers are installed. The tdeck is installed. It really is nice to install things that are not coming off again - a bit of a novelty!On the belly skin, I made an access panel so I can get to the boost pump. I made and prepared a fiberglass frame to attach to the aft belly fabric under the walking beam for potential future access.Currently I have been introducing myself to fabric and at the same time learn how to cover the problematic t-deck/vertical stab transition. I did some partial test coverings. The first cover went well, since it highlighted where I needed to shim underneath the fabric; notably, I had to build up the vertical stab ribs with balsa (thicker on one side, due to the stabilizer offset), and I extended the t-deck at the rear by adding 2 'tails' so as to aid fabric transition. Due to the vert' stab offset, these 2 tails are very different in shape, the shape was determined by plotting on the shrunken fabric with a straight edge from the turtledeck. The second fabric test cover confirmed I had gotten everything right.The problematic t-deck/vertical stab transition was of course problematic :0| but I finally got there. I even managed to accomplish it without adding the football fabric patch that I have seen in that location on many planes. I plan on leaving the test fabric on so I can play with bias tape; I just ordered some bias tape..it felt like a car payment!Looking ahead to the year, I think some of the final fabric will have been completed up to primer.Did I mention it was cool to install stuff that ain't coming off again?
20120126_222241_bellyaccesspane.JPG

20120126_222303_IMG_0096.jpg

20120126_222555_IMG_0134.jpg

20120126_222622_IMG_0142.jpg

20120126_222639_IMG_0144.jpg

20120126_222655_IMG_0151.jpg

20120126_222710_IMG_0158.jpg

20120126_222723_IMG_0160.jpg

Latest posts

Back