• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

BPE IO-360X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys last week the big day arrived...... well one of the big days in this build. my engine showed up from Barrett Precision Engines. Its a beautiful engine, they did a great job! its built up from a superior kit engine. the options i went with are as follows:
Forward Facing Cold AirSilverhawk Fuel Injection9:1 Comp PistonsFlow/Port the CylindersSlick MagsMetallic Platinum and Black PaintB&C SD8 Alternator with Inverted Oil Pickup AdapterSky-Tec inline hi-torque lightweight starterRoller LiftersSet Up For Fixed Pitch
as equiped it weights 286 lbs, and put out 191HP on the dyno! im pretty excited and we mounted it on the plane for the first time last night. cool!
now i need to get my exhaust from aircraftexhaust.net and im going to replace the flywheel with the lightened one from skydynamics. heres some pics:

20120218_061510_IMG_0007.JPG

20120218_061522_IMG_0015.JPG

20120218_061534_IMG_0016.JPG

20120218_061545_IMG_0046.JPG

20120218_061557_IMG_0047.JPG

20120218_061610_IMG_0050.JPG

20120218_061620_photo-29.JPG

today im going to be making the gussets for the engine mount. i held off on fabricating them till the engine was mounted up to make sure they wont interfere with them. its a good thing i did, as the breather fitting will. also, i have to change the location of the oil pressure fitting. theres a boss on the rear of the engine for it with 2 possible locations. the one the fittings installed in is real close to the mount, and with normal operations it will work the mount. everything lined up perfectly and the hour job i thought it was going to be to hang the thing turned out to be a 10 minute job!

Latest posts

Back