• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Brakes, brakes, and more brakes! (and paint) :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
So I finally got to work on the plane (school is starting to slow down) and I decided to work on the brakes, since I need to have landing gear, and I'm re-painting it. So a couple questions, the first one being, the brakes. Do I want the calipers to be flush to the torque plate? should I place some shims between the pads and the disk?

So my 'fitment' plan is as follows:

bolt the torque plate down
slide the caliper into the torque plate, holding it flush
put the wheel assembly in, with a shim between the disk and pad
measure distance between torque plate and the inside hub
cut a piece of pipe to fit
replace hub and pipe, tighten down the shaft nut
turn it out, 1/4 to 1/2 turn, drill holes to lock nut in place
BAM! fully assembled landing gear.

so is the above plan of assembly correct? what shim width should I use?

And lastly, Paint. The damn thing is southwest airlines orange! I was reading that the paint needs to be epoxy paint. What paint should I use? should I sandblast everything off to save weight? I would like to use automotive paint (right color) is that ok or do I need to match the automotive color to an aircraft paint code?

Thanks guys :) If there is anything else I'm forgetting (and I'm sure there is) feel free to mention it :)

Latest posts

Back