• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Christen Eagle and Pitts S-1S 3D Printed Fairings For Sale

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had several people ask how to get fairings for their airplane here at Osh. I've been ordering this stuff from a company called Shapeways. You upload a cad file and they will print it for you. They have very nice, high end printers. They also give you a way to set up an online store for your designs. Below is a link to my "store." If you'd rather deal directly with me, that's fine. Just PM me.

For those interested, keep in mind that this stuff is all new. There's not a lot of data out there for people using 3D printed parts on airplanes. So far, it's worked out pretty good for me, but I can't really claim that these are flawless, fully tested products. I've only got 44 hours on them so far. Just keep this in mind if you are thinking about buying something.

On pricing, you have the option of slowing the delivery time down for a cheaper price when you are checking out. I'd like these to be cheaper but they cost what they cost....

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Here is the link: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/grossl-engineering

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome, Cameron. I won't need them, but this is exactly the kind of thing I love to see. I may eventually be in contact with you about designing fairings for a Marquart Charger. ;)

Kiwi

Registered Users
Reaction score
Get them to print out a whole Bucker Jungmeister from that Solidworks model that guy in Brazil has done………….

camwebb777

Cam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are awesome. I reckon using 3D printing of things like this that are then skinned in CF would make very good fairings.

Any Skybolt parts drawn?

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Skybolt stuff drawn....yet.

I suppose you could lay up some carbon over these if you were looking for more strength. For the gear leg fairings, this would be a bad thing. They need to stay flexible. I'd still be hesitant to use them for anything structural. I suppose this would be a good way to make molds too. One of the reasons that i printed this stuff was so I wouldn't have to mess with composites. They itch me to death. Plus, I was just curious about the technology.

The possibilities are endless. I ran across another 3d print service at Osh yesterday named Opjet. They have some impressive capabilities.

marquartflyer

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am very happy with an early set of Cameron's cabane fairings. The 'engineering polymer' he specs, doesn't sand easily, but with some high build filler they came out great. Once my gear fairings start to show age, they will be replaced.

Anthos92

Registered Users
Reaction score
I've had several people ask how to get fairings for their airplane here at Osh. I've been ordering this stuff from a company called Shapeways. You upload a cad file and they will print it for you. They have very nice, high end printers. They also give you a way to set up an online store for your designs. Below is a link to my "store." If you'd rather deal directly with me, that's fine. Just PM me.

For those interested, keep in mind that this stuff is all new. There's not a lot of data out there for people using 3D printed parts on airplanes. So far, it's worked out pretty good for me, but I can't really claim that these are flawless, fully tested products. I've only got 44 hours on them so far. Just keep this in mind if you are thinking about buying something.

On pricing, you have the option of slowing the delivery time down for a cheaper price when you are checking out. I'd like these to be cheaper but they cost what they cost....

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Here is the link: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/grossl-engineering

I think these are awesome and the price is great as well. Would you happen to have a fairing for the top of the cabanes (bottom of top wing)for a Pitts S1-S by any chance?
Also, any more fairings like I strut or trail plane to fuse fairings for the S1-S? I need an entire set and want to order them all at once.

Thanks

Anthos

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no. All I've got is what's on the website.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are all that I've got. Curtis and I communicated via phone, email, and pictures to get these designed and to fit. I finally got to see the finished product for the first time a few days ago at Osh. Very nice airplane.

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1501243667.748262.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1501243684.383740.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1501243697.401424.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1501243715.669126.jpg

Last edited:

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing... at checkout, you have the choice to choose an extended lead time. This gets the price down to a little less than what I had been selling this stuff for. You just don't get to see this until checkout. It will let you see it before having to send any money though.

Latest posts