• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cockpit smoke/exhaust extension?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biplane45

Reaction score
I have a smoke system installed in my closed canopy Skybolt, but I'm getting an intolerable amount of smoke in the cockpit. After 3 seconds, can't even see. Thankfully, it clears quickly when smoke is turned off.
I've tried a number of methods to remedy this problem; covering areas of ingress, additional air vents etc. No real improvement. I've concluded that the principle cause is the engine exhaustbeing too close to the main landing gear strut openings.
The lower pressure caused by the fuselage shape and the closed canopy is sucking the smoke, and probably dangerous CO2, in like a vacuum.
I'm thinking that an exhaust extention of 10"-12" will do the trick. Just need to get that exhaust a bit further away from the fuselage, below & behind the strut openings. This leads me to my question about modifying my exhaust pipe.
What is the best way to go about this? My exhaust is 3.00" dia steel. Have other members simply welded on a sleeved section? Maybe a butt welded section? Are there appropriate automotive applications for this? I'm not comfortable with a simple bolt on or band clamp attachment. Also, there is the issue of adequate exhaust pipe support due to the increase in weight & arm. Perhaps this would be negligable?
I'd like to hear how other members have dealt with this.Edited by: Biplane45

Latest posts

Back