• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Falcon F-1 S/N 1 for sale

FastEddie

Reaction score
$21,500!!!! Obviously being sold by someone who knows nothing about airplanes.

I'd give him $2000 on a good day.

Reaction score
Well you may think they know nothing but for a craigs list ad the description was written by someone who knows what it is. Usually its somebody selling grandpa's airplane and they only know it's an airplane and that's all they know. The market for oddball airplanes is pretty limited.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
getting a ''404'' page not found....

gbmmoyair

Reaction score
I think there is at least one of these rotting in an open hangar at a little grass strip just north of Sweetwater Tennessee.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Article explains nada IMO. J A B (Just another biplane) that needs a rebuild. My concern would be if it as an E-AB AWC? If so it's probably worth $5-12K depending on condition of the engine.

I've been watching Barnstormers closely for about 10 years and even more so in the last couple since I will have at least one and maybe both airplanes for sale sometime soon. My conclusion over the past couple months is it's getting even worse not better.

Many left sitting "barn finds" are being sold for the value just north of a core engine meaning the airframe is worth about nothing. Like the T18 that popped-up today for $12k w/200 hr. O320.* Still a crap shoot unless you take a cylinder or 2 off......? Flying airplanes are too cheap too. They better be at least a 9 to fetch close to an average low norm.

Too many worn out vintage bipes(and monos too) and not enough pilots who can fly them w/o 25 hours of dual.

*Many more.

TOO MANY.

Jack

I think I know how the dinosaurs felt.............?

Last edited:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll feel better if I can ever fly my new AD2 again. Only have 3 short flights and just over an hour in it. We got 30" of snow. Now t's melting and 1W3 will be a swamp. Some years the RW might be X'ed until May........

Oh Well,

Jack

FastEddie

Reaction score
Article explains nada IMO. J A B (Just another biplane) that needs a rebuild. My concern would be if it as an E-AB AWC? If so it's probably worth $5-12K depending on condition of the engine.

I've been watching Barnstormers closely for about 10 years and even more so in the last couple since I will have at least one and maybe both airplanes for sale sometime soon. My conclusion over the past couple months is it's getting even worse not better.

Many left sitting "barn finds" are being sold for the value just north of a core engine meaning the airframe is worth about nothing. Like the T18 that popped-up today for $12k w/200 hr. O320.* Still a crap shoot unless you take a cylinder or 2 off......? Flying airplanes are too cheap too. They better be at least a 9 to fetch close to an average low norm.

Too many worn out vintage bipes(and monos too) and not enough pilots who can fly them w/o 25 hours of dual.

*Many more.

TOO MANY.

Jack

I think I know how the dinosaurs felt.............?

Well, it was built in the 60's and has never been recovered, so all the fabric goes away.

It's a wood wing, so there's a lot of inspecting to be done on the spar, and there will likely be repairs needed to some of the wood structure.

If there's corrosion on the flying wires, there's a considerable expense getting new ones made to order.

The engine hasn't turned in 10 years, so it's likely rusted tight and will need a full teardown and clean-up or rebuild.

Brakes, tires, avionics (if any) likely all need to be replaced.

Lastly, it has an unknown certification. Can't be an E-AB, probably can't be certificated since it likely doesn't completely conform to the type certificate (prototype #1). Might be able to be certificated as E-Exhibition, but it will take a good amount of time to figure this all out.

In comparison, I can buy a flyable Starduster II with serviceable fabric for $25,000.

That all being said, I'd love to have this airplane in my hangar and use it like a J-3 Cub, lazily poking holes in the sky or taking people for rides in that comfortably-sized front pit on a warm summer evening.

It's just hard to justify all the time and effort to bring a plane like this back to life if you are not head-over-heels in love with it.

Perhaps someone from the designer's family will show interest and have the time, dedication, and money to bring a piece of their family history "out of the attic".

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know where 500 grand in 1970 dollars go trying to certify this airplane. I mentioned to another member that someone could have certified the entire Lou Stolp line for that amount of cash back then.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What did Curtis spend certifying the S-2? I thought the number was around $1M. At least part of that was due to the additional aerobatic category hoops he had to jump through but it happened just a few years after this airplane was certified.

If the designer didn't have an engineering background they would have had to hire someone to do the drawings to FAA standards and provide a proper stress analysis. I have no idea what that type of work cost back in the 60's.....

Reaction score
The airplane shown in the pdf of the AOPA article shows standard category on the registration. To own this craigslist airplane and restore it to airworthy status I think a person would 1. Have to almost steal it 2. Have a personal reason to put the effort in, like your dad built them in the factory or something like that. The front cockpit reminds me of a Hatz, where you need to be a 98 pound double jointed , ambidextrous gymnast to get in the front cockpit.

Last edited:

Pilotjkl

Reaction score
since I had a flight to Abilene in the King Air today I took a quick look at it, this plane will need a lot of work to make it airworthy the fabric is cotton that my one year old could push his finger through, the engine has 300 hours since 1965, I think 5k is all it's worth,

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since I had a flight to Abilene in the King Air today I took a quick look at it, this plane will need a lot of work to make it airworthy the fabric is cotton that my one year old could push his finger through, the engine has 300 hours since 1965, I think 5k is all it's worth,
I said,

"Many left sitting "barn finds" are being sold for the value just north of a core engine meaning the airframe is worth about nothing."

Depending on core value(3-5K?), I think we are close on estimated value? The $2000 offer is also not unreasonable...... Only maybe worth more if it has an A-AB AWC(probably not?)

I recall a friend years ago who found a "bard find" Piet sitting under a failed roof. Corvair engine in boat anchor condition. I suggested he RUN, not walk away if it was offered for free. He paid $1K for it and took a bath.

If someone offers say $10K for this one they should take it because at the rate things are going it will be worth less next year.

I too dream of warm summer evenings and a 3-place open cockpit biplane.

Dreams are hard to value in $

Latest posts