• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Firebolt Project for Sale

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
FIREBOLT PROJECT • $7,300 • FOR SALE •

Fuselage primed and complete, sliding canopy mounted, brake cylinders, landing gear, and fuel tank installed. Wing ribs routed, spars profiled, ready for assembly. Includes drag/anti-drag wires, fabricated steel fittings, aluminum leading edges, wing bows, fiberglass wingcaps, IO-540 engine mount, nosebowl, and firewall. Leather seat covers, throttle quadrants, brake calipers, and cans of bright yellow imron paint included.Comes witha complete set of plans, all issues of Skybolt News, and a hard copy of the World Famous Biplane Forum Skybolt Builder's Manual.

This aircraft is ready to be completed and flown. The Firebolt is a Skybolt on steroids, with more cockpit space, Marquart gear, and a removable canopy if you prefer the open cockpit experience. I have come to realize that I do not have the time to build, and I am seeking a flying Skybolt to purchase. I am looking for a serious builder who can do this plane justice and finish it off.

Hangared at Gillespie Field (KSEE), San Diego CA. Contact me through PM for additional photos and information.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Still for sale; however, price has been reduced to $6,900.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
And yes, still available! Please note, this is a Firebolt, and it should be equipped with a -540; smaller engines won't work.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that it hasn't sold for that price. That's less than half the price of a basic fuselage welded up from Steen.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Jerry -

Thanks for the kind words. I agree with you, and everyone who's seen the project says something similar.Buildersout theremust just not be starting new projects at this time. I'm still confident I'll find a home for this plane eventually and I can be patient.

Darrylat8750 (Moderator here on the Biplaneforum) visited San Diego this past weekend and looked over the workmanship and what's available for sale. He could probably provide an independant assessment of the project if anyone asked him nicely.

I'll be relisting it shortly on Barnstormers; I let the ad lapse over the holidays.

Colleen

jezell

Reaction score
Is this still for sale? What's the price? Negotiable? Are there any issues with the project?
Thx,
Jeff

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Still available! Always willing to negotiate and/or provide more info.

Colleen

jezell

Reaction score
Colleen,
I will be in CA the week of April 19th on business. Any chance (if it hasn't sold yet) on inspecting the project on 4/22/2010?
Thx,
Jeff

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Jeff -

Certainly. I've put you on the calendar. If it sells before then, I'll let you know, but otherwise, let's plan to connect offline that week. I'll PM you my contact info.

Colleen

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Jezell, the project is still available. Lots of tire kickers, no takers. Are you still on for a San Diego visit? Love to show you the project, and my Skybolt, which should be flying by then with a totally overhauled aileron and elevator controls system.

Let me know if you need directions.

Colleen

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just reposted on Barnstormers, price reduced to $6,200. I am just trying to recoup what I paid for it. Would love to pump this money into the Skybolt...motivated seller here.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Update: Project is still posted on Barnstormers, $6,200, make me an offer.

Update on my flying Skybolt: hinge failed on the alternate air door (180hp O-360A1A fitted with Bendix RSA5AD-1 fuel injection throttle body); was experiencing intermittent hesitation when the door flopped over and blocked the intake. Disconcerting. Finally discovered the problem, rebuilt it stronger than a brick you-know-what, reinstalled with new induction system seals and gaskets throughout. Also took the opportunity to clean the inverted oil system and overhaul my rhs mag. Going back together, should fly this weekend. Oh, and I bought a softie seat-pack parachute from Allen Silver, used, and will be getting acquainted with it.

Colleen

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

CKeller said:
........I bought a softie seat-pack parachute from Allen Silver, used, and will be getting acquainted with it.

Colleen
I hope you don't get TOO acquainted with it Colleen!

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sold! The project is going to an engineering university in Baja Mexico where aeronautical students will get some practical building experience working to bring the Firebolt to life. I'm jazzed that it will be constructed so close to where I live, and that students will be learning about biplane construction.

In the meantime, I continue to fly my Skybolt and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Colleen
San Diego CA

darylat8750

Reaction score
Glad to see it sold Colleen.

How is the flying coming along? Getting comfortable yet?

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Darryl-

Actually, the flying has been going quite well, and I am finally comfortable in the 'bolt. I've flown probably 30 hours in the last 45 days and have logged 70 hours in the plane since I brought her home just over a year ago. I've had zero maintenance issues since the last extensive work I did in mid-August, other than a routine oil change and plug cleaning. I think I'm finally in the clear...

I've done some spin training at Santa Paula (CP Aviaion, Judy Phelps) and am scheduled to go back and fly again (doing EMT work) with Rich Stowell. I'm comfortable with the parachute and my landings are finally getting respectable.

I've been trying to become more involved in local IAC stuff and am planning to volunteer at the Borrego Acrofest this coming weekend. I hope to take the judging course this winter so I can assist in judging next spring. And, if all goes well, I hope to start competing in the Primary category starting next spring as well. First I have to get those spins to be perfect...

Thanks for asking!

Colleen

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Really glad you are enjoying your airplane. Don't do anything that would require testing the chute!