H Stab Incidence

Discussion in 'Acrosport Fuselage & Empennage' started by taggt, Aug 15, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 15, 2018 #1

taggt

taggt

taggt

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hello Folks, I'm having trouble understanding the reference on the tan (latest) plans for "1/2 inch leading edge up" on the H stab. Is this 1/2 inch higher than the rear spar which is already 2 inches center to center above the longeron or is it 1/2 inch above the longeron at the leading edge? In which case I guess it must mean upper edge of longeron to lower edge of LE stab? An angle of the whole stab relative to the longeron would be much easier to understand. I know some builders from the old newsletters have tried more than 1/2 inch but I can't determine what their references were either. I know this will depend somewhat on weight and balance and engine power etc . Hope someone out there can help as I am pretty close to mounting the tail feathers. Regards, Trev.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. Aug 15, 2018 #2

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I cant remember the exact measurement, but I set mine 1.5 deg leading edge up. same as the wings. mine didn't require any shimming after flight and the elevator trails the horizontal stab in cruise. once you have the mounts made, just plop a digital level on the mounting points, or a horizontal stab rib. so yes, 1.5 degrees leading edge up in reference to the longeron.

3. Aug 16, 2018 #3

Neil

Neil

Neil

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

4. Aug 16, 2018 #4

taggt

taggt

taggt

Thanks, just what I needed.

5. Aug 16, 2018 #5

taggt

taggt

taggt

Thanks Neil, I knew it must have been in there somewhere, just couldnt find it. Ties in with what Smizo did also. I will use a digital inclinometer.