• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

N4362D - Official Rebuild Thread - Part 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anticipating that there will be LOTS to post as the year progresses, I figured I would start my own rebuild thread.

As I said in this post:
https://www.biplaneforum.com/thread...s-starting-advice-opinions.17485/#post-207848

My new/old Acro II headed down to Chris' shop in PA. As requested, here are a few pics from the trip. Not really much to show yet, but when Chris gets it opened up next week or so I will post more (or, Chris feel free to do so on this thread).

Here's the ol bird, marked for dissassembly and inching its way onto the trailer. The width of the gear with tires was JUST narrow enough to fit between the tires of the trailer with the fenders removed. I had to build two 2' wide plywood "ramp boards" because the tires were a bit wider than the bed of the trailer. We just worked onto one, stopped, swapped boards, and so on all the way up.

20180924_100018.jpg
20180924_100051.jpg
20180924_100058.jpg

Local A&P Bob Grand stopped by to help (Amazing how many people show up once you start moving airplanes around!)

20180924_100133.jpg

A few other spectator and helpers showed up too. Halfway up and a bit crooked.
20180924_103553.jpg

All the way on, wheels chocked and screwed down, initial rigging on and we leveled the trailer.
20180924_110354.jpg

Partly strapped down and almost ready. We added a LOT more strapping. Had to tie off the prop too, it started to spin at 60mph.....

20180924_164057.jpg

After dropping off the Acro, we got to go see Chris' plane. My god, its even more beautiful in person. Seriously this is magazine cover material... Helped him put the cowl back on (Prop is off for repairs)
20180924_164103.jpg
20180924_165928.jpg
20180924_165936.jpg

My son realizing how much you can achieve if you stick with things and apply yourself... :)

It was a fun day, and I can't wait to update this thread with more pics. I will be taking the tail feathers home to my place to recover them, and see if I feel confident enough to tackle the wings over the winter. Pics to follow!

Latest posts

Back