• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

old bourbon bulb too long for B+C oil filter housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saber25

Registered Users
Reaction score
Ok guys,

I hate like hell to ground my Pitts for the annual but I am going to upgrade several items. I have the old Lycoming gravel catching screen which I'm replacing with the B+C oil filter adapter. The 3-1 WW2 era engine gauge has a bourbon bulb for oil temp which is over four inches long and does not fit in the adapter. I don't have an alternator and would like to stay away from an electrical sender if possible. I looked at a Rochester oil temp which appears to have a shorter bulb and would probably fit the housing.

Choices appear to find oil temp with short bulb, or install gauge with electrical sender powered from battery only. How much draw on the battery for typical acro flights?

I'll be making a new instrument panel so am not adverse to using individual gauges if need be. I could also eliminate the fuel pressure gauge based on an earlier post on the forum.

What say you ?

Cheers Hans

Latest posts

Back