• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts for sale on Ebay

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
Might be worth doing a title search on this one...

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems the "only" :rolleyes: thing it doesn't have is airframe log. Title search won't resolve that but probably should be done. Obtain FAA file.

Valid AWC, valid bill of sale/registration, new log book with condition inspection and you should be good to go. But with out the log book there will be no phase 1 sign off so that will need to be done again.

Double check with your local FAA office and obtain operating limitations and test area.

Maybe?

Jack

Last edited:

crankyklingon

Reaction score
You could part it out and make money. Not that I encourage that behavior.
The glass and engine more than cover the purchase price.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea!

If this thing sells for less than 20k it's indeed proof of how bad the market is. Just consider price/value of Engine, wires, prop, glass etc.......:(

Of coarse Doc's fingerprints may be worth a negative $10K

death trap

Reaction score
Is this the one in Fl with the 233 ? If so there is some info on the forums about it .
1).know non Aviation grade wood used in construction
2). Fuselage tubes are not to plans ( Diameter /wall thickness )
3).Home made Round Flying wires
4). Wing span not to plans
5). looks like that Lycoming AEIO 233 might be an “orphan engine “ (not sure how many Lycoming has built and parts availablity)
6).previous owners “race /LSA “ history

So basically it’s a 100hp used/damaged biplane with bad history 🤔

wzm

Reaction score
I'd be tempted, but given the original plan of "LSA", there are just so many questions that you'd want the builder (or someone with a tape measure) to answer.

Are the wings to Curtis' plans, or have they been stretched somewhere? Have tubing diameters been changed in order to save weight? Is the engine mount wall thickness sized for an O-233, or an O-360? What length is the fuselage? Since the gear has bent, did the gear mount points get tweaked? What does it actually weigh?

It could be a very stock S-1C with a small modern engine, or it could be another creature altogether. That's what is probably holding back a quick online sale, vs. Pigpen's S-1C at almost the same price. For someone local to the plane, it could be a great deal!

kjkimball

Been there...Done that...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As I have posted in other threads about this plane, it is NOT built to stock S1C plans or specs. Built by a former employee of mine, it was built to be LSA and as noted, many changes in materials, glued, wood, steel etc. and had at that time, didn’t have the 233 and glass panel later added by Doc.

TFF1

Reaction score
" Convenient loss of logs" from that guy is just so par for the course.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I priced a YO 233 from Legend Cub in 2015. Their OEM price then was around 25,000 bucks depending on accessories. Lycoming still supports this engine, in fact, it's their answer to the Rotax series. It's a little different than the common 0 235 in that it has dual CDI ignition and incorporated hydraulic lifters where the 0 235 has solid lifters. Same 2,400 TBO and horsepower rating.

Someone's going to get a pretty good deal on the engine unless it's somehow been ''docked''. Sell the airframe to some sports bar, keep every thing else.

Last edited:

jstreat

Reaction score
Never finished Phase 1 flt test. Start from the very beginning.

JST

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
ok, so I looked through the pics. has this airplane been flying? notice there is no baffling???? its not like it was removed, there is stuff mounted and routed???

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am sure this had a plenum...

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of unanswered questions.
Why no logs
Danny 007

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure this had a plenum...
Maybe...... but if so, explain all the wires mounted routed and clamped. They would need to go through it.

Reaction score
As mentioned, a complete vetting of the paperwork on this one is a good idea. No logs ? Maybe somebody has an ax to grind.

kjkimball

Been there...Done that...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It was for sale by neel Aviation in Lakeland without engine not long ago. Now it has an engine stuck on it. I told Brad neel about the build and put him in touch with the original builder so he could learn first hand how it was made and not have to listen to BS from mr race guy.
Seems it now has a motor stuck on it that may or may not have actually been on the plane when it flew. I have no heartburn with a plane like this being sold as long as the salesman discloses everything on how it was built and who has had fat fingers in it.

Latest posts