• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S1-11 Project for Sale on Ebay

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

This plane has been pretty heavily modified from the looks of it. Did you notice the aileron slave strut have been integrated to within the I-struts. Also look at the fuselage photo looking forward at the fuel tank notice how the longerons taper in and there are a tapered standoffs for the sheet metal. Interesting to say the least. It also has a more S-2/Model 12 style stick with the bearing on top where as the S1-11 had normal aluminum bearing cages like the S-1
Edited by: acropilotbret

Carlyle

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't look like an S1-11. It says it was built in 1989. I thought Curtis didn't design the S1-11 untill the mid 90's.

jstreat

Reaction score
The spring of 1996 is when Robert Armstrong had the modified by Aviat Prototype S-1-11 at Aresti Aerodrome (TX)for practice for the WAC. I believe it was 1994 when the Prototype was built. Time flies.

Moose

Reaction score
It looks a lot like a modified S-1 project that was floating around Indiana for a while many years back. That one was started by Williams, then went to Bishop, then ?

jstreat

Reaction score
Project sold, coming to Colorado for rebuild. I remember the ship from U.S. Nats. It was a screamer.

Moose

Reaction score
Which one was this? I think Bladder built two, or three of those?

jstreat

Reaction score
I believe this was the last one he built.

Latest posts