• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S1 For Sale

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am buying an S2 and must reluctantly sell my S1. The airplane was built in 1996 and has an injected O-360 with bendix fuel injection and recent three blade performance prop. This airplane has "C" model wings and long "S" model fuselage. The fuselage has all of the desired mods, strap hinges, tail brace, cabane brace, API tailwheel, etc... The airplane is trimmed out to fly feet flat on the floor and lands like a dream. Since I've owned it, I've performed a number of upgrades to the instrumentation, wiring, and engine. I intended to keep this airplane for a long time, but couldn't pass on an opportunity to own an S2.
The wings are traditional truss and the build quality is excellent. The welds are excellent. For additional information, please see my site: https://sites.google.com/site/pitts119ts/

Asking - $29,500

Thanks for looking,
Ben Van Kampen
Wichita, KS

20151011_070217.jpg

IMGP0004___60_F035_00100_018_DA18-55WR_K-5.jpg

IMGP2681.jpg

Top View.jpg

Last edited:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would look good in the corner of my hangar:)

I just couldn't afford the divorce.

SamSwift

Registered Users
Reaction score
Nice! S-1 with -1C wings and a parallel-valve engine would make a good racer at Reno! Just sayin'

Hova

Reaction score
Looks like a great C! I keep thinking about buying one to fly while I build mine...

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen this one at several fly ins over the past few years. It's amazing. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in this one.

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score
My mouth is hanging open but I just bought a Citabria about 4 wks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:(

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score
posted it to Facebook Pitts group, good luck with the sale. maybe if there was owner financing available...............

Tomcat

Reaction score
This airplane is the real deal guys, I can personally vouch for the quality as the owner is a friend of mine. Quality is excellent throughout, well worth the asking price.

dumbbelldaddy

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Canadian dollar was a bit better I'd be all over that......

f18shack

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not yet. It's in my hangar, and I'm putting together the equipment needed to rebuild it, hopefully starting soon. I need a taildragger NOW, however, to get me through until it's finished. I sure wish I had the cash for this one! Wow...

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone:

Thanks for the complements on my airplane. I am really going to miss it.
Just an FYI, I uploaded more pics to my website and added a walk around video.

Regards,
Ben

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ben, do you still have the Sensenich metal prop? Also, it looks like the center section has a removal bottom on it, right?

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sensenich prop is gone. Nothing is removable on the center section. From what I understand, those screws are there to keep the fabric from disbonding. It's similar to the S2's, but they cover the screws with a layer of fabric/tape.

dimcuesta

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also seen this airplane personally and it's a real gem.

Reaction score
Sorry to clog your sale thread but I wanted to comment on the wheel pants. I like 'em. Nice departure from the standard Pitts bullets. Beautiful aircraft.

jrs14855

Reaction score
IIRC S1 plans called for #4 PK screws and reinforcing tape into inboard upper ribs to hold fabric. I started wrapping C/S fabric completely around inboard ribs and then gluing main fabric to that with 1" overlap, eliminating the screws.

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To Kevin91:

Your private message box on this forum is too full to receive my PM. Please e-mail me at my Hotmail address shown on my website and I'll reply to your PM.

Thanks,
Ben

Latest posts