• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts Wanted

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made the mistake of selling my Pitts S-1C before finding an acceptable S-1S to replace it with. I've seen everything advertised on the internet currently.

I would love to find a factory built stock S-1S or a S-1E built from factory kits. I am looking for a very nice airplane.

-Factory built fuselage (Experimental is fine)
-Recent fabric
-Reputable engine, low time
-Solid flange crankshaft
-Pitts wings (No Sparcraft)
- IO-360 (parallel valve preferred)

I'm an experienced Pitts pilot/ mechanic and cash buyer. Thanks!
Eric Minnis
Bully Aero
Burlington, NC
336-263-8558

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
There's a factory S-1S in upstate NY, N2999. I read that it was the first S-1S off the production line in Afton Wyoming. Pretty sure the engine and airframe have about 800 hours, don't know about the fabric though. The owner is asking 36k.

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have any contact info? Have not seen that one. Thanks!

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Eric,
Mine is not factory build and has Sparcraft wings but it looks great and is a blast to fly..

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of good homebuilts out there for sure. I bought N21JF from Rick Rice and it was one of the best flying Pitts I've ever flown and was a homebuilt. It is currently getting restored and will sport Wolf wings, Cowling, and lots of mods that I have designed here.
I know that one day I would just like to have a perfectly restored factory built- or at least factory component stock S-1S that was restored perfectly in addition to my modified S-1S.
Having at least 2 Pitts is the end goal. For whatever reason I can sit and just stare at these things for hours.

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
There's a factory S-1S in upstate NY, N2999. I read that it was the first S-1S off the production line in Afton Wyoming. Pretty sure the engine and airframe have about 800 hours, don't know about the fabric though. The owner is asking 36k.
I'd be curious as to the "factory build" provenance on this one as it is listed in the experimental category. The manufacturer is listed as "Andersen" and is ser# 0001 built in 1973. Could this possibly be as in Herb Andersen? The Aerotek factory built S-1S models have a serial # format of 1-xxxx. It appears the first one, ser# 1-0001 is N9JT and was also built in 1973.

Is Herb Andersen still alive? I found a picture of him online in reference to an award he received in 2010. I'll bet he could write an interesting book about his time managing the factory. It's a story I'd love to hear for sure.

Patric_L

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'd be curious as to the "factory build" provenance on this one as it is listed in the experimental category. The manufacturer is listed as "Andersen" and is ser# 0001 built in 1973. Could this possibly be as in Herb Andersen? The Aerotek factory built S-1S models have a serial # format of 1-xxxx. It appears the first one, ser# 1-0001 is N9JT and was also built in 1973.

Is Herb Andersen still alive? I found a picture of him online in reference to an award he received in 2010. I'll bet he could write an interesting book about his time managing the factory. It's a story I'd love to hear for sure.
http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=11468
found this..looks like you're right :cool:

humptybump

Reaction score
I had emailed regarding this plane a couple weeks ago and the seller sent a spec sheet that said it was built as experimental by Herb Andersen and that it was the first S-1S from Afton. It said Lycoming records were that the engine was shipped to Afton.

I was surprised as the "for sale" ad made no mention of it being SN 1 or the first of anything. Just said S-1S...

I wondered the same thing as PittsBird about the SN?

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect it was a 'prototype' to verify the tooling and the production process. Just a guess.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Sorry about that guys, I heard "first off the production line in Afton, Wyoming" and assumed that it was a factory bird.

raymoeller

Reaction score
N9JT was indeed the first production S-1S, and was owned by another pilot based out of Lewis where I'm at. When Jim put it up for sale a couple years ago, he was hoping that there might be some interest on the part of the factory, as they were getting ready to put the S-1S back into production. Steve Wolf came up to pick up the aircraft to fly it to the new owner, and unfortunately I got there as he was climbing out of the pattern with the airplane so I didn't get a chance to meet him.

Latest posts