• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt Changes thru the years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemGuy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am seriously looking at a never finished Skybolt fuse project from the late 80's. It is in the Denver area and was supposed to have been built at Steen back then. I am getting some more pics sent of the welds and things but what I have seen so far looks good. Did they gas weld those back then?

Other that gear length change is there any major fuse changes that make a newer version much better to an older design? (Like the changes in length on the older Pitts S1) Things that cant be remedied by moving or replacing a tube here and there.
Assuming the build quality is good is there any other reason to not build an older fuse up?
If I wanted to move the pilots seat back to a more reclined position how hard is that? Just move that brace back a few inches and re do the seat?

My goal is to have something fun to play in and maybe do Sportsman level acro. To keep weight and cost down I would plan to go with a 200hp 360.

I am planning to go see the project in person in a couple weeks. Any specific areas to watch out for?

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Latest posts

Back