• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt laminated Spars from Steen: $2000

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy folks!

Im selling my set of Skybolt Laminated Spars from Steen. Bought in August 2015; and stored in my air conditioned house in original crate and bubblewrap (as recommended by Steen).

They have been unpacked, inspected, and packed right back. I did not do anything to them.

No, I am not going to NOT build an airplane :) I decided to change to a Charger; and that's why Im selling the spars.

Steen currently sells theirs for $2595. I paid 2,395. Call it an even $2000 -- that's how much I would like to recover. On top of a 20% discount, you get instant order fulfillment -- Steen takes months to deliver :). At least, that's how long I was waiting for them.

Steen knows about this set too -- if you call Cheryl and mention my name (read as "Fee-dot" ;) ) - she'll tell you all about them too (as in, if you want to confirm if this is legit, etc etc etc).

You can pick them up in person in Round Rock, TX (just north of Austin); or I can ship them to you with your preferred carrier in the crate they're in.

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be a trend developing.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to having a few people to bounce super specific questions off. Or people for whom I can answer "Been there, done that" questions.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question but I assume the Skybolt spars are completely different sizes than the Charger? (I assume these are just soar blanks profiled to Skybolt specs?) might be worth a Call to see if steen would accept these back in trade for Charger spec spars?

TFF1

Reaction score
How far off are they from the charger spars?

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Charger spars are 1" thick, and I recall someone saying the Starduster spars are 7/8" thick. You could make up the difference with the little ten-degree wedges that fit the ribs to the spar if you needed to keep the stock rib (I've given this some thought, with my recent Spruce drought problems), but I'd be pretty leery of that reduction in size.

TFF1

Reaction score
I would not condone going smaller. Interesting though the higher gross and power plane has smaller spars.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I get for my critical reading skillz. I was thinking Starduster, not Skybolt.

Charger front spars are 4 7/16" tall at the tallest point, and the rear spars are 2 13/16" at the tallest point.

Screenshot_2017-12-19_13-54-27.png

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Guys; thanks for all the responses :)

> Returning to Steen

I talked to Cheryl @ KOSH. Nope. No way. She won't take them back.

> Using them for Charger.

I thought about that too. I am frankly not sure if that's possible. As long as Skybolt spars are larger than Charger's, that'll work. I can't check ATM: all my plans are still in storage and frankly I just don't have a couple hours at the moment to fish them out; and carefully check everything :(

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Update: did a quick check. Nope, Im **** out of luck.

Charger uses same spars for top and bottom wings. Rear spar is 126 1/4 long. Skybolt's lower rear spar is 101 1/4.

So there. Can't re-use them :)

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah.....he’s downgrading. ;) ;)

camwebb777

Cam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it helps anyone thinking of building a Skybolt - I waited almost 12 months for those spars from Steen - might be worth putting away to know you have them when you need them.

chubb.rc

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What made you deside to go the other way in your build design??

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Heh, well, that's an interesting question.

So I've flown both a Bolt and a Charger... Bolt's a bit too twitchy for my taste. I am a lazy pilot :). Charger feels Just Right in terms of responsiveness / forgiveness, just like a Grumman (and man I do love Grummans). And the aileron / elevator balance feels Just Right too.

Another reason is that IMHO, Charger's a bit more pretty. I like the looks of a classic Golden Age era bipe, and Charger looks more like one as compared to a 'Bolt. I also particularly don't like three things about Skybolt, looks-wise: I-struts (I think Ns are prettier), cabane that goes into a 'point', rather then being 'spread apart' (ie, like this: /\ instead of like this: \__/); and the fact that top wing sweep + bottom wing dihedral make wings look like they're "pinched" when you look at the plane head (or tail) on. I also like cantilevered gear legs look more than bungies, though I realize there are lots of options for gear (original bungee, Charger's cantilever, Grove spring, or Whitman spring tube into the engine mount) on a 'Bolt.

Latest posts