• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smith Miniplane advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebiplane

Reaction score
I hope it's OK that I posted this in the Acrosport area. I feel I kind of belong here and I trust your opinions.

I need some good sound advice. I tried to think this through but I'm drawing a blank.

Word got out that I'm starting to build a biplane. A family friend for many years has been working on a Smith Miniplane. A family member called him because he found out that the guy gave up on building it because of old age. The builder is not a pilot but had plans of one day becoming one so he poured his heart and soul into it. I know him (a little) and he is a perfectionist in every sense of the word.

Anyhow, he still has it, and it's been stored in a heated shop for almost 20 years.

My family member called me and said the guy wanted to talk to me and said he was expecting me to call. I hate stuff like this but I figured I should call because biplane people are just cool anyway. Well, we talked for an hour and a half and the fuselage is 80% done. Landing gear with tires is tack welded but all there. The wing ribs are all done and he has the spars all cut and drilled ready for assembly. Ailerons are done. Wing fittings need to be made but he has the material to make them. No engine.......No flying wires.

He gave it all to me........I was ready for him to try and sell it to me but he just came out at the end of the conversation and said come and get it.

I wasn't really expecting any of this, I figured the guy just wanted to talk airplane building, and I figured he was gonna offer me some advice.......

The airplane is 200 miles away and I have never seen it.

The question is now what?????? What would you do???????

Originally I had planned on building a pitts or a toot but then decided on a two seat Acrosport so this is like doing a full circle. I honestly don't know what to do. If I sell it I'm gonna be a schmuck because this guy really liked me on the phone and really loves his project. He felt compelled to give it to me is all I can say.......

So here I sit, very confused, with a big jump start on a little biplane (ironic since it's my screen name).

I was so focused on the Acrosport but as of right now I have nothing invested for the most part. I really need some good advice from biplane people like you guys. Given the economy and the fact that it's a second airplane for me should I go for it?

Is a Smith Miniplane a well built machine? I tried to do some quick research but I didn't find much.

Well, that's how my evening went tonight. I actually got a headach over it because I'm one of those planning type structured people so I hate surprises but I have to admit it's a sweet proposition to get a jump start on a biplane.

I really appreciate any words of advice on this!

Mike

Latest posts

Back