• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted: S1-S plans

richdolby

Reaction score
Hi,

I am based in the UK, and as the title suggests, I am after a set of plans for my S1-S.

Ideally the paper version, in good condition.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Rich D.

S1-S
<edited by beej admin: please do not request digital copyrighted material>

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1452400513.470559.jpg

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The Aviat factory still sells them......btw, nice looking Pitts!

lanceav8r

Reaction score
Both Aviat and Steen sell S1S plans. There are differences but for your need both would do the job.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen what Steen sells but the Aviat drawings are the factory drawings for the type certified S-1S. They are very complete and suffer from only two minor problems;

1) They are printed half-size. That makes a few things (very few) a little difficult to read.

2) Some parts are referenced to the S-2 part number. The S-2A was the first airplane to be certified and produced. When there was a common part (again, very few) the drawings reference the S-2's part number.

Neither of these is a big problem. On the plus side hundreds of airplanes both factory built and homebuilt have been built from the Aviat plans. They have been updated and rev'd up until 1982 when the S-1T was certified and produced. Finding errors in these plans is difficult and if you think you found an error it's usually your error and not the drawing's.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
+++1 on what Bill said. I have both for the record and the factory drawings are THE ones to purchase. Remember, these were the drawings Bill and I would have given certain body parts for years ago.....well, maybe, but you get the idea. These were THE drawings we thought we'd never be able to have at any price.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Jim Killough was building S wings long before there were legitimate plans available. He may have reverse engineered them or, more likely, got them from Homestead with the help of Sarge or someone else. I doubt Curtis was the one providing them for Jim but he guarded those drawings just like Curtis did so who knows? I never actually saw them.......

Latest posts