• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Which Wings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop85

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on how to procede with my Skybolt project. I built a Skybolt in '96 and it had the internalattach flying/landing wires. My new project came with a set of wings with external attach wires and are complete using routed ribs. They need some TLC and new leading edges but wouldn't take too long to complete. I also have a complete set of built up ribs for the new plans. My initial plan was to fly using the older wings to get going sooner and then build the new wings down the road. Having covered a set of wings before I am somewhat disenchanted about doing two sets of wings for this airplane. Here are my other concerns:

- cost - I have everything for the older wings, would have to buy all the wires, I-struts, spars, etc for the new wings...huge difference in $$$s

- FAA - the current wings are complete. My last project was similar and the inspector had no issues but I know the FAA is clamping down on the whole 51% thing and I'd hate to miss out on the repairman certificate

- performance - older wings will have more drag, the big question is whether it's signficant. The Skybolt is not exactly a low drag machine to start with. Also the new wings would have the decreased dihedral, again the question is how big a deal is that? My previous 'Bolt flew great upside down.

- time - with the ribs built it would seem not too daunting a task to build the new wings. I'm a hobby woodworking and would enjoy the project and pride of completion. However I may be underestimating the remaing work involved.

Thanks for any and all ideas. I've had the project for some time and really want to get going but seem to have some mental blocks on how to procede.

Marcus

Latest posts

Back