• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

0-320 Mags and 160hp “kit”

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

I’m going to be doing a IRAN on a 0-320-E2A and I need a new or at least a rebuilt set of mags and harness. I’m also interested in the 160hp “kit” / STC that allows you to use 160hp pistons etc. I believe there is one that has a new carb, Pistons, pins, rings and STC paperwork. Maybe someone bought the parts etc and never used them? Also need a overhauled Camshaft for the engine. Let me know what you have a what you are asking. Engine is in my new to me Spezio TuHoler the builder called “Bills Air Castle” it has frise ailerons and modified turtleneck and tail feathers but is basically a Spezio. I think it’s got a 4” stretch in the rear seat area also...I’ll have to measure it against plans. It’s just been sitting since Bills health failed so instead of risk the engine I’m tearing it down and doing a IRAN now.
30A5198B-8EA9-4905-A106-04BDF2658920.jpeg

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your planning to go from a 150 HP narrow deck engine to 160 HP you will need reinforcement plates for the cylinder base flanges. If your case does not have the proper length case studs to accommodate the reinforcement plates you will have issues. The case can be modified (new studs) but check the cost before hand.
Phil

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO a tu-holer has little need for 160 hp. 125 is fine, 150 plenty unless you live at 15,000'.

If I was building one I'd want a front seat stretch.

Enjoy,

Jack

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to go look at engine. I was thinking it was a Wide Deck because the serial number ends in a letter “A”. But seems maybe the E2A is a narrow deck engine? So maybe the letter A in serial number at the end isn’t always for a wide deck?

Attachments

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO a tu-holer has little need for 160 hp. 125 is fine, 150 plenty unless you live at 15,000'.

If I was building one I'd want a front seat stretch.

Enjoy,

Jack
I agree it needs a front seat “stretch” for much two place action. My plan is to make a new gas tank with cut outs for your knees. That’s the real issue. As far as HP goes, the engine has only a couple hundred hours on it but it’s been sitting. The 160hp upgrade is pretty simple, Pistons and pistons pins and a different carb. I was planning on rebuilding carb anyway so this isn’t a major additional expense. And since I’m doing a IRAN I’m having the cylinders cleaned/inspected and honed anyway so stuffing in new pistons/pins/rings is a no brainer. I’ve never heard of anyone say “man this thing has 10hp to much!” But I’ve said and heard many times “man I wish this thing had More HP!” Spezios are Heavy and this one is no exception...160hp plus will be a great addition I think...and very little cost difference VS freshening up the 150hp 0320. Only big issue is with the added HP I might have to get a different prop or repitch but that’s Ok for more GO and/or climb.

TFF1

Reaction score
Fitting in the cockpit is worth more than ten hp. If the pistons are in really good shape I would not hesitate on 150; plus if you can find clean auto fuel you can use it.
I had to pass on a friend’s that was in great shape , but the rear leg room was made for someone short. Rudder pedals were behind the front seat. No stretch on the cockpit. It sure was nice. It was his wife’s plane when he owned what became my plane. I could have bought it for a steal.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I made tank cut outs for my knees too. Made it so I could just fit. Indeed 10 more ponies will never hurt, I just wouldn't do too much to get them and being able to use auto fuel is a plus. Have you flown it? I sure wonder about the ailerons which are my biggest gripe.(By which I hope yours are much better)

Good looking airplane.

Last edited:

Saber

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the hold down bolts/ nuts of the cylinders. Internal torque on the narrow deck and hex nuts on the wide deck. Ie. Wide deck : four 3/4 “ nuts outside pattern and 5 /8” nuts inside.

Saber

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The picture is a narrow deck that has been upgraded to 160hp. Note the internal torque hold down nuts and banana clips. They call the Metal plates under the nuts banana clips.

Saber

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The letters can be changed if mods are done to an engine. I believe that has to be done by the factory or certified repair shop authorized to rebuild engines.just go look at the engine then there won’t be any question what you have.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a wide deck for sure guys.

Latest posts