• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Am I too big and too tall for a Pitts S-1S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cludwig

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, I would think it has but I couldn't find the answer using the search function.
Am I too big for a Pitts S-1S?
I am 6'1" and about 240lb (186 cm and 112kg). I've started on a diet, but I am a big guy. Even when not carrying extra weight, I weigh in around 215lb. That is lightest I could ever hope to be.
I am very much wanting to start a homebuilt project, and with the limited space I have to build and the performance I am looking for, the Pitts S1 makes great sense.
I am thinking of an open cockpit Pitts. That way I can use a seat type parachute and have more leg room and more space between me and the panel. With no canopy, there is less height restriction. Also, I live in Florida where the added airflow is welcome.
Any members out there of similar size that fly a Pitts S1?
Any mods in particular which would make the squeeze easier?
Any idea of typical S1S empty weights (180 hp motor, composite fixed pitch prop, minimal electric system for a starter, radio and transponder)? I'd hate to find I fit, but am over gross with fuel.
Diet advice is alsohumblyaccepted. :)
Thanks in advance for replies!!

Latest posts

Back