• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Left Wing VII

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Creator of this place
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
Reaction score
Austin, TX

<TD vAlign=top>I don't know what this tool is called but it came in handy...

The final ClearCoat has been applied. The spar butt fittings were bolted in place,I then focused upon fitting the drag' wires. One of my wires was 4 inches too long :0| , how Imanaged that I don't know...I added some cut-off pieces of pvc tube at the wire cross-over points, and wrapped a small cable tie around them, this is to prevent any vibration and paint chafing in the future.

More explanation on tramelling the wires can be found in the Right Wing section ofmy site. I then left the wing loose on the bench for 3-4 days, to see if there was anything untoward going on due to the wire tension...all was OK after re-checking with the trammel bar, and there was no wingwarp whatsoever...phew.

Next, I drilled the holes for the idler arm and bellcrank bracket, space is a bit tight here, so a small air drill comes in handy. The holes were soaked in Clearcoat and brackets fitted. The idler arm and bellcrank need to be as low aspossible within thebracketin order to provide plenty of clearance/ clashing with any wires.

Next, was fitting the aileron pushrod, but I couldn't find it! I was 90% sure I had made it and sprayed it when I made the other one for the right wing... I had to then go to my invoices to confirm I had infact purchased two 4ft pieces months back. That confirmed, I ripped the shop apart, finally finding it 'safely stored' in the cardboard tube the wing trailing edges arrived in...

I had to dremel/trim ina couple of places at the rib uprights so the pushrod had full travel.

I have also started the tip foam. I found the ideal 'glue' for this is ClearCoat! A few smears on the inside, insert the foam with a nice cosy fit and that foam isn't going anywhere.
I have decided upon an under-wing type pitot tube setup.

First stage of foam...

Proposed place for pitot gusset (under-type)

Latest posts