• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Part II, Completion of N540AD (Rebuild of N85CH)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airplanegeek

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the encouragement along the way so far.
I have decided to end the original thread named after my birds old N number. The new thread will hopefully see us to completion of this major overhaul. It has been fun this far and a major educational experience for me!

Please join me as it’s a whole lot more fun when friends are along for the ride!

Over the past four years, there were many highlights! Some include in no particular order:

- moving the airplane from Seattle to Pennsylvania
- tear down and inspection AND lots of issues found and repaired.
- Paint scheme design ideas
- Canopy design ideas and construction
- plywood leading edges and wing tip fabrication
- low profile rear instrument panel fabrication and installation
- modified turtledeck and baggage area.
- a side bar Cessna 150 rebuild
- a daughter solos the 150
- a recovering father after a nasty crash
- engine overhaul
- cowling construction
- wiring and avionics.
-solid cabane struts and a complete re rig of a crooked airplane

After a little bit of taking inventory of what is yet left to do, it looks like still an estimated 300 hours of work! I hope y’all come with me.

9D9D3FFF-2FB1-4B9F-9B18-F8ED5FD78AD2.jpeg

2BB4F15A-55EC-4552-AFE7-2F1D622EA2A4.jpeg

52C9A4B1-4266-4EB4-BEDA-B3D8EF9BF552.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back