Pitts S1C for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Pitot, Mar 17, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 17, 2018 #1

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

Greetings Biplane forum.

My name is Steve and this is my first post.

I am selling my 1969 Pitts S1C. The aircraft is complete and flyable (last annual inspection occurred in 2010). However, it is my desire to sell the aircraft separately from the engine as I do not feel it is a safe power-plant (O-290G) for a Pitts. I'm concerned about propeller gyroscopic forces causing the (thin) crankshaft flange to separate.

Also, I feel the fuel delivery system is substandard. The engine has a PS-5 carburetor with an appropriate high pressure engine driven fuel pump. However, for starting and emergency operation, a second engine driven STYLE pump is mounted under the instrument panel with a short lever that is manually activated by the pilot. This works fine for starting but I cannot image this will be sufficient to keep the engine running in the event of primary fuel pump failure.

I'd be tickled pink to get $12,000 total for both engine and air-frame, but my primary concern is not to maximize the sale price. Rather I wish to sell to a competent individual who is capable of maintaining and flying the aircraft in a safe manner.

Here are some particulars:

1969 Pitts S1C (short fuselage)
    Lycoming O-290G 490 SMOH 150 STOH
    Sensenich propeller. 72" X 56"
    Stitts Fabric/Poly Tone - 1983
    No electrics installed.
    Has an inverted engine breather, but no inverted oil system.
    Fuel tank (new in 2003) has a flop tube.
    60 hrs on a new stainless exhaust system.
    60 hrs on a new Lang tail wheel
    Empty weight - 750 pounds.

Although I have owned the aircraft for 16 years, I do not consider myself to be any sort of "Pitts expert". I welcome all comments from the knowledge of this group.

Steve Goodwin
    Port Townsend, WA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hartfield and wapati-bull like this.
  2. Mar 17, 2018 #2

jstreat

jstreat

jstreat

My first Pitts also had the O-290G and a wobble pump tucked up under the panel next to your right knee. It was a Mil type with single stroke. I too could not imagine pumping and flying at the same time. Your head was tucked down low. Also equipped with a PS-5. Later a O-320, Bendix FI, and Christian Pump were installed. Turned out to be a nice reliable S1. Still flies today as N3961. Your bird can be the same with the right person. Good price and good approach to selling.

JST

3. Mar 17, 2018 #3

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

If you were MUCH closer I might be looking for someone to buy Marcia's horses....:D

Ryan Mactaggart likes this.
  4. Mar 17, 2018 #4

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

I kind of like the big tires/ no wheel pants look on that airplane. Thats a great price.

5. Mar 18, 2018 #5

Timbob

Timbob

Timbob

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree, it looks classic...like the 40-50s.
    I've been telling folks about it, probably won't last long.

6. Mar 18, 2018 #6

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

Yep, I'm hoping someone with an O-320 sitting in the corner of their hangar steps up to the plate.

Steve

7. Mar 18, 2018 #7

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

Ha! If you were MUCH closer, Laura would be looking to buy those horses;)

Steve

8. Mar 18, 2018 #8

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Looks like a nice plane. A good used 290D or 320 crank can easily end the G engine's biggest weakness; especially if the rest is good. N8L started with a G engine. Not for fire breathing stunts but can still be fun plane until upgraded. I would call that a classic Pitts. Pitts like they use to be built.

9. Mar 18, 2018 #9

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

I agree, the old school look is cool. When I bought the plane, it had a set of hideous Cessna wheel pants. Those were the first to go.

It also had a bullet style spinner. I changed that out for the more blunt "little stinker" style spinner.

[​IMG]

10. Mar 18, 2018 #10

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

All posted pictures were taken today or yesterday.

Horizontal tail surfaces were re-covered 20 hours ago by the Port Townsend Aero Museum.

[​IMG]

The only deviation (that I know of) from plans, is the wider than normal landing gear. This is the only Pitts that I have flown, so I cannot comment on handling differences (if any).

I will say that the aircraft is more demanding during takeoff/landing than the Christensen Eagle that I did a couple landings in as a "check-out".

[​IMG]

11. Mar 18, 2018 #11

Neil

Neil

Neil

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Probably lucky for me you aren't close by. That's a dandy looking little plane and I have a fresh conical mount 320 on an unfinished Acro Sport. I probably wouldn't fit anyway.

12. Mar 18, 2018 #12

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

"Classic Pitts" I like that.

I figure that no one (including me) has done hardcore aerobatics in this plane. Sure is a fun "sport plane", however.

As much as I love doing aerobatics, especially the slow weightless feelings at the top of loops and hammerheads, I quickly become nauseous and the fun ends:(

Steve

13. Mar 18, 2018 #13

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

I think I'd like that wider gear in my older age? That said my old short S1C was a ***** cat. Of coarse I was sharper 40 years ago.

14. Mar 18, 2018 #14

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Steve,

You said,

"....I'd be tickled pink to get $12,000 total for both engine and air-frame, but my primary concern is not to maximize the sale price. Rather I wish to sell to a competent individual who is capable of maintaining and flying the aircraft in a safe manner. ......"

I promise to take care of it.......would you consider $100 down and $100/month for the rest of my life?:D

Good luck,

Jack

15. Mar 18, 2018 #15

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

BTW. I personally don't worry about the G flange unless you run a chopped mrtal prop and do high speed snaps. I believe most of the flange issues were caused by the cut down metal props installed on the Tailwinds, T18's etc....... The old G in the first Spezio had 800 hours on it when I bought her and still going I think.....YMMV

Jack

16. Mar 18, 2018 #16

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

How old did you say you were? :D

17. Mar 19, 2018 #17

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Probably too old to pay for it that way .:eek:

18. Mar 25, 2018 #18

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

This is how the Pitts has been hangared for the past 10 years. The support wires are all led to a single winch for quick raising/lowering.

Aviation was a MAJOR passion of mine. I built the sea-plane (Fisher Super Koala) and floats (my own design). I Also Built a successful part 135 charter business, bi-plane ride operation, and did a little A & P work on the side.

However, my last aviation related money making operation ended about a year ago (flying the Bonanza - part 91 corporate), also my desire to fly recreationally has dried up.

The Bonanza and chevy have recently been sold. The motorboat is now in my home garage.

The Cessna belongs to my wife. Although not an airplane fanatic like I was, she will continue to use the plane to commute to Seattle 1 or 2 days per week.

I'll keep the sea-plane (at home) just in case I one day get the urge to fly (and tinker with) airplanes again.

Hangar will be sold when the airplanes are gone.

Steve

[​IMG]

19. Mar 25, 2018 #19

Pitot

Pitot

Pitot

A shot of the instrument panel:

[​IMG]

Compass mounted in trailing edge of upper wing.

[​IMG]

jmorgan likes this.
  20. Mar 25, 2018 #20

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Nice toys. You sure know how to stack a hangar.