• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beberle

Reaction score

I just spent 3 days training in a Pitts S2C. All I can say is... WOW! I flew with Johnny White out of Virginia Highlands airport near Abingdon Virginia. He's a great pilot and instructor and well worth a look for anyone looking for aerobatic or transition training.
My aerobatic tolerances were pretty low the 1st day, but we flew 3 45-minute flights the last day without too much queasiness on my part. Never thought I'd fly flat spins or hammerheads. Never knew what a 'humpty' was before either ;-) The Pitts S2C is something else! It felt like it was built from a single block of billet aluminum.
I've only got about 120hrs/ 35 tailwheel under my belt. The 1st time I pushed the throttle forward and unleashed 260hp in a 1600lb aircraft was an... eye opener. After 3 days, some of my landings were passable, but it would probably take at least another 3 before I thought I was anywhere close to proficient! I had the pattern handled pretty well, but transitioning from the slip to 3-point attitude had me trying to flare it like a Citabria more often than not :-/
I had a BLAST. I've already been bitten by the 2-wing bug, but now I'm hooked on aerobatics as well. I'm glad I 'went for it'!!

Brian

Edited by: beberle

Latest posts

Back