• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WANTED Pitts rod type spring and locking tailwheel

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm iterating on N262PD. The plane originally had a rod spring and Haigh on it when built by Peter Groves in Canada. Then it was converted to a J3 leaf spring that didn't quite fit the way I'd like it to on the build in flat weldment.

I'd like to go to a locking tailwheel again. I'm currently borrowing Doug Jardine's steerable tailwheel and rod type spring off a project Pitts in his garage.

At the very least, I'd like a steerable double fork and rod spring that is not a "loaner" to use for the foreseeable future. I'll need to match my fuselage weldment AN4 bolt holes, as they are not drilled to any standard. The front to rear attach point distance, however, is S1S standard.

Current setup just uses aluminum machined block to hold the rod spring. Two halves. Not perfect, but hopefully good enough for now until I can machine a better one.

Does anyone have parts that might help my tailwheel situation?

I admittedly only have one landing so far in moving the plane to a hangar to do more work (new prop spec'd by Nick Cain!!!, ADSB, alternator work, electrical gremlins). But the rod spring gets the tail lower and the three point speed lower. That seems nice.

Mr. Murray (neighbor) has Milk Run with a unique locking and steerable tailwheel. I'd love to have one of those, but I've never seen another Pitts with one on it. It looks like a Haigh with chains to it and a cable to release the locking mechanism.

Brooks

IMG_20201014_203650409.jpg
IMG_20201012_174911473.jpg
IMG_20201013_085425097.jpg

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new rod type spring that is set up for a API tailwheel. It was originally purchased for a Thorp T18. If interested let me know.

Phil

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score
Brooks,
I've got a Haigh tailwheel with stinger that I won't need to use anytime soon. It's pretty beat up so you'll have to go through it but it's complete. I paid $100 plus shipping so I'd pass it along for the same amount. Can post pics later today.

Kelvin Rempel

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what happened to Pete's Pitts. This was the first Pitts I got to sit in. I believe it was black and blue when Pete had it. The Black and Red caught me off guard. I believe Pete still frequents this forum.

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one caught my eye . Looks like a Haigh that is lockable and horns and chains to tell it where to go when unlocked . Full swivel gets left behind . Looks like Bart has one that could be refurbished and set up that way .

Attachments

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this is the mount that I fabbed for my Smith . I made it this way to have the option to go back to leaf spring type if I find that I don't like lockable or at least let me get used to ground handling and all other characteristics before changing .

Attachments

Last edited:

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies folks. Where would you guys be sourcing the tailwheel itself if I were to get Barchiola's, that way I could repair his to be ready to fly with it.

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one caught my eye . Looks like a Haigh that is lockable and horns and chains to tell it where to go when unlocked . Full swivel gets left behind . Looks like Bart has one that could be refurbished and set up that way .
This would be the ultimate solution in my mind. Seems a custom solution I've only seen so far on your pics and Milk Run, both Reno racers.

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a couple of links for replacement wheels
I'll take up the offer to fix this Haigh and learn a thing or two in the process of still available. Thanks!

Last edited:

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new rod type spring that is set up for a API tailwheel. It was originally purchased for a Thorp T18. If interested let me know.

Phil
I'm going to keep flying the loaner while working on getting a Haigh fixed and perfectly aligned. Thanks though.

flyinlo

Reaction score
I may have one of those locking steerable tailwheels in my hangar. I'll have to go look around. I pulled it off a Pitts and put an API on it because the angle was all wrong. It was built for a rod at a much steeper angle than was on the plane so it took a lot of force to get it to steer since it was lifting the tail as it steered away from pointing straight ahead.

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have one of those locking steerable tailwheels in my hangar. I'll have to go look around. I pulled it off a Pitts and put an API on it because the angle was all wrong. It was built for a rod at a much steeper angle than was on the plane so it took a lot of force to get it to steer since it was lifting the tail as it steered away from pointing straight ahead.
Thanks!

In the meantime I'll hopefully be refurbing and rocking Bart's after retrofitting a cable in a flying plane. Probably going to be a PITA.

And yes I think I very well might look into taking the plane to rookie pylon school as you encouraged, but not in the next year that's for sure.

Biplane34

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please educate me…If you want a steerable tail wheel why not go with a Maul or Scott for which the Pitts was originally designed. What advantages does a Haigh have over a Maul or Scott other than weight and forward locking?

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The small Scott tailwheel, I don't believe is manufactured anymore and the cost was close to $1,000 last time I saw new one available. I don't know if the Maul is available for the rod type spring (don't know if the Scott was either) so if one wanted to use the rod type tail spring your opinions are limited. If someone is looking for a Scott 2000 series tailwheel assembly, I have a used one available.
Phil

Last edited:

Latest posts