• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: S1S or S1T in top condition (pref red/white classic paint scheme)

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
hello:

i'm *still* looking for the one to buy, having started looking in May. i've been beaten to the punch on two gorgeous ones, dang it. i admit being picky - i'm looking for a good 1st IAC competitor (thu Intermediate) but i want an airplane that is visually stunning as well. i've always wanted a classic red/white starburst Pitts, so that's what i'm looking for now. for some, i know that low weight is what they're after, but i need one that is pleasing to the eye, inside and out. i really loved the S2C I flew at Tutima; from what i've seen, the S2's tend to have higher quality fit and finish than most home-built S1's, but I live in Van's Air Force country and having seen some gorgeous RVs *know* that home-built AC can often be higher quality fit/finish than cert AC. i'm trying to find one.

bonus points for 3-blade prop, SS ailerons, or other performance enhancements to increase climb, roll rate, etc.

ps - there's a pretty Ultimate 10-200 on Barnstormers that looks interesting, but a) I dunno enough about Ultimates to know whether to run to it or away from it, and b) it doesn't satisfy my lust for the classic Pitts red/white. that said, it's the same blue/white/red competition paint scheme as the Tutima S2's, which I also really like.

-- jdm

N4087H
Portland, OR

Tomcat

Reaction score
Hi jdm,

Good luck in your search. If your interested and want to talk I'm the guy selling the 10-200 that's currently on Barnstormers. I had a guy lined up to buy it but the sale fell through at the last minute, so it's still for sale, and the owner is motivated to get it moved. I will admit that if fit and finish is your top priority the Ultimate will probably not live up to your expectations, it is afterall a 18 year old paint job. But if you want to take a look at it come on out, it'll outperform a stock S-1S.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In regards to an S1 T, being picky on a classic Pitts scheme might be a tall order. A good stock S1 T is hard to find and if you really want one you might have to settle for anything in paint.

andrewrichards

Reaction score
Tom - is that Kendall's old Ultimate? for $45k that's a bargain, I almost bought it last time it was up for sale but some bugger beat me to it by a day....

Tomcat

Reaction score
Yes it is Kendall's old plane. He sold it when he started flying the Model 12. Yes it is a bargain, but the owner wants it sold...

andrewrichards

Reaction score
jdm - you should take a serious look at this 10-200, I wouldn't get too hung up on aesthetics but it also depends on your budget. As This 10-200 is a '96 build and is an absolute performer. I am pretty sure there is some youtube footage of this one flying.

Taildragger

Reaction score
I like to tell people that you won't see the paint when you're inside, so does it really matter that much? :)

If you're like the rest of us, the enjoyment you get out of a plane trumps the paint scheme any day. And if it's a plane you own, I'd imagine that only gets more true. It's yours and that's what you're proud of!

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like to tell people that you won't see the paint when you're inside, so does it really matter that much? :)

If you're like the rest of us, the enjoyment you get out of a plane trumps the paint scheme any day. And if it's a plane you own, I'd imagine that only gets more true. It's yours and that's what you're proud of!
Without owning one, it may be hard to understand how cool it is to open the hangar door each time and see one of the awesomest, best looking airplanes you've ever seen - and that it's yours. :) Everybody's different, but for some of us who are crazy about these airplanes, the sitting inside and flying isn't everything. Do you care what your girlfriend or wife looks like? :)

Taildragger

Reaction score
Without owning one, it may be hard to understand how cool it is to open the hangar door each time and see one of the awesomest, best looking airplanes you've ever seen - and that it's yours. :) Everybody's different, but for some of us who are crazy about these airplanes, the sitting inside and flying isn't everything. Do you care what your girlfriend or wife looks like? :)
I can only imagine...

Tomcat

Reaction score
The good part about asthetics is you can always fix it up, make it better, or even completely re-do it if you don't like it. That way you really can make it yours and make it as perfect as you want it. I wouldn't necessarily hold out for a perfect airplane, because let's face it, the only time it's perfect is when it's brand new. I would concentrate more on the mechanical side of things and buy an airplane that's mechanically in good condition and then worry about fixing up the cosmetics later.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
"The good part about asthetics is you can always fix it up, make it better, or even completely re-do it if you don't like it."

Well yes, but at a cost. The two that got away, one in particular, was completely rebuild & o-hauled ~10 years ago, and still looked great. At $39k, that owner took the depreciation, but also got use out of it as a Sunday flier, and only one of his many planes. Sigh.

A few months ago I posted on this board RE what it would cost to start with a "project" and get it like I wanted, and as you all know better than me, the cost and time involved is substantial. I'd rather write one large check and get to flying than write a bunch of smaller checks (that add up to more than the one large one) and lose a year or two - or longer.

Just to clarify, this wouldn't be my first or only aircraft. I own a turbo Mooney, which I fly almost exclusively IFR ~150 hrs/yr. I also tow gliders in a Piper Pawnee and Cessna AgWagon, and also fly gliders when all else fails (I flew in the Open Class Nationals last year). And yet, none of that scratches the itch y'all know so well: aerobatics. Sure, you can loop (and very slowly roll) an ASK-21 (glider), but it ain't no Pitts (tho it glides slightly better ;-)

Last year I did the APT program at Tutima with Ken Erickson in the S2C, which I found delightful, to say the least. (Probably shoulda flown the S2B just to compare, but I was having too much fun.) I can get down to Phoenix easily on the company air shuttle, and plan to get Pitts transition training with Bud - tho i have 12 Pitts t/o & landings, I wand more dual on landing techniques for different situations, rather than the empty-pattern luxury we had at Tutima (tho KKIC is great for building x-wind confidence, with a constant 20-30+ mph wind)

But I digress.

I want an S1 that, while not necessarily cosmetically perfect, is ready-to-fly, and is, well, a looker, w/o needing paint, re-covering, etc. As I understand it, Pitts constantly require a lot of little things to keep 'em flying, and that's enough. I want this aesthetic not only for me, but for ease of sale later - hopefully to move up, rather than give up ;-)

As for that Ultimate 10-200 on Barnstormers, that's exactly the kind of shape I'd be interested in, if it were a Pitts. I'm sure the Ultimate is a fantastic airplane, and perhaps "better" in some ways than an S1, but a) I'd rather start with the classic, given the level of familiarity available from others and my low level of expertise, and b) I'd be concerned about the resale ability of lesser-known type.

Another option: partner with another Mooney driver at KHIO says he's looking for a Pitts, too. his wife also flies and wants to go with, so he's only interested in an S2. There have been some nice-looking S2A and S2B on Barnstormers, and of course S2C would be great. IMHO, an S2A would be a fine place to start in this game - tho I swore my next AC would be experimental, given what PMA'd parts cost for the Mooney. I'm still crying about missing out on an S2B+Claw that sold locally in my area for $60k just before I started looking - the mark-down was because the S2 had to be put in Experimental Exhibition because the Claw was added before the STC. That would have been *preferable* IMHO - and geez, that prop is worth almost that....

-- jdm

Tomcat

Reaction score
Good luck in your search. Keep the 10-200 in mind if you can't find what your looking for. This airplane is absolutely not a project, it's turn key, zero squawk and ready to rock.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Classifieds also...guy just posted a Craigslist add on a s1s. Honestly though I think the Ultimate has better resale and better over all. But again just my opinion.

Latest posts