• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Upper Wing V

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
6,424
Reaction score
1,307
Location
Austin, TX





<TD vAlign=top>The various hinge brackets...


So...what you guys been up to...Here's my latest musings, anyone else?:


As probably seen in another thread on here, the aileron hinges are a bit of a bugger to fathom out, due to the plans being a little on thevague side on page 10 of the plans.


Ref the pic to the right: from left to right:


- regular outboardbracket x 4. Bushings as per plans.


- inboard upper bracket x 2. Handed. Bushing outside of one sideonly (other side has no bushing on the outsidedue to the dog legslave bracket butting up, and no bushings on the inside to allow one to makefree-bushings for variances in hinge centers when mounting to the rod-ends).The none-bushing side also has a top hole to allow for mounting the dog leg slave bracket.


-inboard lower bracket x 2. Handed. Essentially the same as the inboard upper but longer.


To summerise, outboard brackets have internal bushings, inboards' don't.


The aileron tip bow was cut and fitted, then shaped. Shaping really is easier than you would think on this piece. I used a flexi steel ruler to mark a desired finishline either side of the bow, then using a very shap block plane totake off the surplus, then finished off with a flat sanding block.


When I made the ailerons a long while back, i didn't at the time finish-sand the leading edges. Using a 4' angle iron with sandpaper tacked on it, I got to work, burning a few calories to boot. It is surprising the high spots that appear when you really wouldn't expect any at all...the ply obviously has a tendancy to sink ever so slightly in between ribs. The ply layers being so thin cause the high spots toshow through aggressively, but of course, it all gets covered eventually.


I have now also added 1/4 x 1/16 strips to the aileron ribs between the leading edge ply and the alum' trailing edge, which will get feathered in.


Now all I have to do is repeat on the other wing :0|
 

Latest posts

Top