• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Upper wing spar splice S1-C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just uncovered upper wing of my early S1-C (completed in 1971). The builder seems to have used resorcinol glue, since it easily cracks loose, especially where there was sloppy fit-up of the joint. I re-glued compression struts, wing ribs, tip bows, and anything else I could get to. But I wonder about the integrity of the center splices of the spars.

There are no cracks or delamination in the splices. It looks like the joints were well-made. The AN4 bolts seem to be holding everything together tightly at the wing attach fittings with no slop in the holes.

So I am wondering if adding two more 1/4" bolts outboard of the wing attach fittings toward the end of the splices would be good insurance. I'm thinking that if I try to break apart the splices and re-glue them I might do some serious damage.

It seems like that center section might not see a lot of vertical bending stress because the flying wires would minimize any deflection in the wing.

It's a 700-lb airplane with an O-320.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back